Sunday, April 18, 2010

A few changes this week

A few changes in my life this week –

The first change is that it rained – yes it actually poured buckets for about 1 hour Tuesday night and again Thursday night – twice in the last week – twice in the last 6 months ....

It does make the humidity level go down for a short while (while your sleeping) – but then it just shoots right up and you feel like as if you are literally melting – you look around to see how others are coping and they are usually dry – when you see something sparkling of sweat it’s because it’s another white person. Air conditioning in the office is a plus but only when there is electricity – for the past week we have had the electricity cut on average 6-8 hours a day during working hours – and then again when I get home I can go without for another 3 hours.

However never has the electricity been cut between 22h00 and 6h00 – which brings me to the second change of the week. I had my air conditioning system installed last Saturday and after a few days of hassle to get the amperage increased so I could use it I finally had the full benefits of it on Thursday night. Issouf worked like crazy to get it done for me because he knew I was going to be miserable when I got back from a short business trip to Bobo if I did not have my air con. Wow what a difference it makes –to actually sleep and feel refreshed in the morning. I hope they do not start cutting the electricity at night.The total cost of getting a 5 amp to a 10 amp entrance is the following: 1250F ($2.50)for the new electric box + 3000F to the guy who installs the box as an incentive to come the same day and not in 2 weeks or whenever + 3000F of phone calls to the owner to set up a date and time to go to the Sonabel and request the change + 2000F of gas money for the travelling around the city trying to get things done + 2 days of running around.

My business trip to Bobo-Dioulasso brings me to my third change this week. A VSO volunteer quit suddenly an organisation called REVS+ (they deal in HIV/AIDS) – and his mandate was to help them write proposals to get funds which they need to operate – so as an interim solution for them my services were offered until VSO finds a more permanent solution. So I move to Bobo this coming Tuesday, April 20th for approx. 6 weeks (for now) – and I will be bringing Issouf with me – who is very happy since he has a brother in Bobo which he has not seen for a few years. To me Issouf is a god sent because he works hard and does everything from cleaning the house, washing and ironing my clothes, doing the grocery shopping and the cooking – and he will also be my moto taxi for when I need to go somewhere – a Jack of all trades – a Jackpot. This way I do not have to get use to a new vigil, a new helper in the house etc. as he will make my 6 weeks so much easier – and he is also happy because I am a very fair employer. But he has his own challenges since he has to finish building his house and fixing his mother’s house all by Monday night – he has a crew of friends helping him out but we will see if they can finish in time ... He left with my camera this morning to take pictures which I will share with you in my next blog. The definition of a house for the common folk here is not the same as ours so do not be too surprised when you see the pictures. I will also employ a vigil for my Ouaga residence during these 6 weeks (paid by VSO this time to enable my temporary move to Bobo). Rose will continue cleaning my house for the duration here in Ouaga so she is not affected financially by this change – she is a real sweetheart and she got an additional cleaning job with a new VSO volunteer who lives not too far from my place. I get her in the morning and in the afternoon she goes and cleans his place – with her new bike (I bought Thérèse’s bike when she left and gave it to Rose so she can get around). It’s kind of gratifying to know that I am contributing in a small way to make a few lives a little easier – even if it is for a short time.

There are a lot of challenges here – some of these challenges include accepting the different agendas some VSO volunteers have coming to this place – it’s hard sometimes to witness and not judge some behaviours which do not agree with your own values – it can also be the feeding ground of discord and makes it difficult to work as a unified team towards a common goal and vision. I am glad I am not the Country Director or a Programme Manager here because they have their hands full just on the HR issues besides everything else they have to do and manage.

Well that’s it for me this week – hope everybody is well and healthy. Anybody wants to write to me feel free to do so at mnestor399@gmail.com – as I also like to get some of your news.

No comments:

Post a Comment