Sunday, February 21, 2010

Saturday February 20th 2010

Not too much to say this week – I fear I am getting into the daily routine that is not so exciting or new anymore. I did hire a night watchman – his name is Issouf. As a set up cost I had to buy him a bench for when he sits outside my gate and a reclining chair that he can sleep on once he comes inside the gates at around 10 pm. – he also had to buy himself a machete just in case we have any intruders. They actually can kill an intruder here with not many consequences – the police just put it down as death by unknown cause.
Talking about the police my neighbour Thérèse and I went to put in our deposition regarding our attempted mugging last week. They actually have a little desk at the entrance with 2 chairs and a little note book (looks more like a grade school notebook with very narrow lines) were he took down our names and passport numbers and a little blurb about what happened. Not sure how the information gets passed along to other policemen and I did not ask not wanting to insult anybody.
So now that I have been here for a grand total of 6 weeks (seems like so much more) I have in my employ a helper Rose (5 mornings a week) who does everything except cook for me and a night watchman Issouf (7 nights a week) who is also a cook so maybe one day I will get him to cook the odd meal for meal. Total cost a month is 37,000F CFA ($83) - but still about 25% of my take-home pay.
Another service I signed up for is garbage disposal – I realized not all my garbage got consumed (by who knows) and for approx 1,000F CFA a month ($2.50) these two women come and pick up the garbage with their donkey once a week – not sure where it gets dumped but I am assuming they recuperate what they can and then burn the rest. I wanted to take a picture of them but they did not want – maybe next time.
It is also getting hotter here by the day and night – average temperature during the daytime this week was 106˚F and 91˚F at night. The fan is working continuously but really only circulating hot hair. I think the trick is to take a shower in the middle of the night and get in bed under the fan right away to cool off somewhat. Because when it is so hot I sweat bullets all the time and must drink at least 3 litres of water a day. And I am told it will only get worse – can’t wait. I am sure I will enjoy winter so much more in the future.

I ordered my furniture 1 month ago and still waiting - I think I got had.

I am not too interested in talking about work this week – not yet sure if it is really a viable organization and my week was rather frustrating so I will refrain to talk about it until another time when I will be more cool headed.
That’s it for me this week – hope all of you are doing well and in good health.

4 comments:

  1. Salut Michelle,
    Tu sembles un peu découragée et ça se comprend. Les gens qui font partie de tes "employeurs" ne semblent pas conscients de ce que TOI tu as mis en veilleuse pour offrir ton aide aux Burkinabés. Après six semaines, les choses devraient se mettre en place, non! Je ne sais pas où tu en es dans tes réflexions, mais si tu ne trouves pas ta place et ton utilité, il est permis de changer d'avis....

    Carole XX
    Prends-soin de toi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle... lâche pas la patate. Nous sommes tous dans notre phase désenchantée! Tu te souviens au PFC de la courbe d'adaptation, nous sommes en direction vers le creux... j'ai eu une semaine très difficile aussi... mais pourtant, quand on y pense, ya pas grand chose qui à changé! L'important c'est de ne pas se décourager et de se contenter du peu qu'on peu faire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci Gabriel - je vais essayer de m'en souvenir mais malheureusement j'ai la mémoire courte (ou même sélective des fois).... les gens de mon organisation sont un peu fonctionnaires (et lâche) donc pas très évident d'en faire la relance.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete