Saturday, May 1, 2010

Bobo has its advantages

Bobo does have its advantages.

I have been in Bobo some 10 days and even though I am still not familiar with the city or even my neighbourhood (I got lost walking around) there are some definite advantages:

1) Total electricity cut in 10 days = 3 hours. In Ouaga 3 hours would be a great DAY as in average for the last few weeks it’s been more like 8 hours/day.

2) No water shortages whatsoever – in Ouaga they are daily.

3) Average temperature is more like 38˚ instead of 45˚ - the house has air conditioning but last night it was not required – actually a cool night.

4) There is not a Mosque in sight so I can sleep strait through the 4h00 am prayer which I do not hear around here. I actually don’t hear any of the 6 prayers they have a day.

5) I have beautiful trees of which one is a lemon tree and provides me with great lemonade. And the Flamboyant provides shade all day.

Flamboyant Tree                                                                    

                Mango Tree (mango season right now)


6) Showers are not piss hot – water is actually cold and refreshing.

7) Work has its challenges but the people are really nice – and there is even a stand where we can get drinks, coffee (Nescafe) and sandwiches. Every Tuesday and Friday we get to eat for free whatever the culinary workshop has prepared that day. And there are 3 other VSO volunteers to talk to on site.

8) There is not so much dust here or even air pollution – I don’t think they burn their garbage as much.

Those are advantages I will surely miss when I go back to Ouaga.

But we are in Burkina Faso so poverty is right outside the door.




Instead of squirrels I have what they call "Margouilla" - don't ask me what the equivalence is in English - I have no idea.




Kids actually kill them and eat them.














Not much happening here except we have another VSO volunteer who left for Canada – the third in the last month not to finish his mandate.

I think REVS+ will challenge my patience – they are in need of financial assistance and strategic planning advice but since the executive are all part-time it is really difficult to get them all together – my sense of urgency does not seem to be theirs – so hopefully I will be able to help them out in time.

3 comments:

  1. Salut Michelle,
    Eh bien, je constate que tu réussis à t'adapter à toutes les situations.. Etonnant les contrastes que tu mets en perspective... les arbres fruitiers d'un côté et une telle problématique pour se nourrir et se soigner de l'autre.

    Prends soin de toi!
    Carole XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salut Michelle,

    Je vois que les africains te font un très bon ShoW!!

    Continue a nous envoyer des photos!!

    Laches-pas et n'oublie pas que tu n'est pas la pour rien.!!!

    Naim

    xxx

    ReplyDelete