Tuesday, January 26, 2010

January 24th and 25th

hello everyone - I am finally back online but my connection is really slow so not capable of uploading to many photos.

Today (Jan 24th) was a fairly quiet day of laundry,cleaning, purchasing more essentials, visit to the local market to buy carrots, potatoes, lettuce ... We walked around quite a bit to get our bearings and our location is great – I am a 15 minute walk to work, to the bank and to a small Lebanese market as well as to a large outdoor market.





Jan 25th - I thought today I was going to visit my new employer IPD-AOS at 11h00 but plans have changed and it might only be tomorrow. But as I came out of my door this is what greeted me. But the picture did cost me 250F CFA ($0.50) -


Again today was filled with walking around to get our bearings and get known by our neighbours - it is definitely an adjustment to be here - the poverty is a bit overwhelming and some of the handicapped here are just so heartbreaking.
The outside markets are interesting to say the least - a maze of kioks with vendors selling their wares and a lot of the same things so how do you choose who to buy from is difficult as they all need your business. The meat is plentifull but not very appetizing since invested with flies - chickens are so skinny you are buying bones with a little bit of meat attached - the size of a chicken thigh is probably the size of my little finger - so I may become a vegetarian but there is not an awful lot of of choice. Will need to learn how to cook to keep healthy in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment